My daughter says she’s a VSCO girl and I’m here for it

VSCO is actually a photo and video editing app known for its filters. But, tween and teen girls are now calling themselves VSCO girls.

VSCO

Over the weekend my daughter totally schooled me on what exactly being a VSCO girl means. I was nervous to find out because usually anything that is trendy these days isn’t always the best. I had to say I was pleasantly surprised and actually, am ready to embrace this trend…maybe because a VSCO girl is basically just me reliving my childhood.

Okay, so what is a VSCO girl?

From my understanding its pretty much the most basic girl you will find. A VSCO girl is apparently very aesthetically pleasing, trendy and loves the beach lifestyle. So far so good.

Scrunchies, shell necklaces, checkered Vans, Polaroid cameras, oversized t-shirts, and Hydro Flask water bottles are apparently some of the top items you need to be a VSCO girl.

Y’all I’m totally here for this trend!

Another major part of being a VSCO girl is being environmentally conscious. VSCO girls love using metal straws and Hydro Flasks to “save the turtles.” I mean if there’s any trend that I want my daughter to fall victim to it would be this one!

VSCO

Also, little to no makeup is involved which is another yes from me. I’m told it’s very light and very natural, embracing their natural features. I can totally deal with my daughter wanting some scrunchies and a shell necklace and natural makeup!

Whether this trend is just for social media or it continues at school I’m totally okay with it! Plus, the look is giving me major throwback vibes to my childhood and tons of nostalgia!

Although this trend really isn’t something new, lets’ face it, this is what most moms dressed like back in the ’90s. This is really just a way for young tween and teen girls to connect at an age where their bodies and minds are going through major changes.

If a VSCO girl is what they are calling it then I’m here for it. Now I’m off to Amazon to order more scrunchies and shell necklaces.

Comments

1. Ana Cabreira says:

My 10 year old told me about it as well. I was so happy to hear comfy shoes and lose shirts are part of the style. I hope it sticks ☺️

1. Jamie says:

Yes! Me too! It could be so much worse, I’ll take this!

2. Sara says:

My 9 year old is totally a VSCO girl and I’m here for it, too! When she asked me for a hydroflask and an Instagram account the other week before school started up I was like… what is going on. I’m here for this trend!!!

1. Jamie says:

Yes!! I love it!! ????

3. Laurel says:

Honestly people my age (13) think that a vsco girl is weird, but honestly I think they’re cool and showing their style like this is GREAT and COMFORTING! Having someone come out saying they’re a vsco girl is hard to say and commit to, so I’m proud to all those girls coming out and saying who they are and being proud of it!! Honestly I’m not much of a vsco girl but seeing girls do this and be confident about it really changes the perspective and the way I look at myself and my confidence… Good job girls!

1. Jamie says:

I think it’s just another trend that will fade away but it’s cool that it’s nothing bad and all in good fun, and basically it’s how I dressed back in middle school lol ? I do love it! Thanks for commenting something positive!

4. Jennifer says:

My daughter is 13 and into some of these trends but said other kids make fun of the VSCO girls. There’s a whole slew of the 90’s and early 2000’s trends coming back. The Emo trend we had back in the day is now E boys and E girls. It’s funny seeing things come back into style.

1. Jamie says:

Yeah I’ve heard some make fun of the VSCO girls here too I don’t get it and I told my daughter to brush it off! It’s crazy!

5. Bailey says:

My children are babies right now, but my friend posted something about her daughter calling herself a VSCO girl and I had to know more about this because that’s the app I use for my photos and hadn’t heard of this new trend ? so funny because these are all things I loved as a kid also. And I’m not a very environmentally friendly person now… and wear scrunchies.. and of course wear oversized t shirts ??‍♀️ How funny.

6. Jeremy Demery says:

As with any social media platform, there are risks. VSCO doesn’t allow you to make your account private, so everything that is posted is available for anyone to see. It isn’t difficult to find pictures of teens vaping and consuming alcohol on VSCO. So before you let your children run wild on the next dad or cool thing to do. Please have a talk with your child about the dangers of social media.

1. Jamie says:

My child is aware of the dangers of social media and has been well informed but the VSCO I am referring to in my blog is actually clothing and a way they dress it pretty much has nothing to do with the app.

1. Jamie says:

Yeah and I call myself basic so what. (I’m a school bus driver) no need to point out your a teacher 🤷🏼‍♀️ I know what basic means.

7. Jessica says:

Ordering unnecessary scrunchies and shell necklaces made in China and shipped to your house in a giant box from Amazon = not environmentally friendly ?

1. Jamie says:

Clearly you know nothing about us and our endless beach clean ups and that my daughter turns the trash she collects into art, sells them and then DONATES the money. So yeah if I wanna buy her a few scrunchies and a shell necklace that actually comes in an envelope from Amazon it’s my choice. But thanks for your input ??‍♀️

2. Eric Bash says:

It truly isn’t about being environmentally friendly. It isn’t. Now before I get flamed, guess what? Same reason young teen males all wearing the same brands say from Under Armour down isn’t about sports necessarily.

It is about signaling.

These girls want the look that signals they are a VSCO girl so they can feel they belong and have a tribe.

Here is hoping they find what they seek and develop real relationships so that sooner it doesn’t matter who has a shell necklace or checkerboard shoes and your shared commonalities aren’t looking identically.

Look, we all know the people who have to talk about how charitable they are versus the people we never hear making such statements who quietly leave their entire estate to some good cause.

There is SOME environmentalism involved here but if it comes down to fitting in with this new bunch in school as an insecure and awkward tween trying to traverse the social jungle by wearing something that harms the environment?

Let’s just say someone will shrug and say you can buy carbon credits to offset it because nobody wants to not signal what they are into by what they are wearing.

Heavens, how would you ever know someone is at all interesting if you cannot deduce their entire personality and worldview from one cursory head to toe glance?

So have fun but lets not get it twisted. No moms should pretend their daughters are strictly into this out of altruism but if going VSCO is the worst thing your kid is gonna do?

Let’s order up all the necklaces in the biggest boxes ever because she’s gonna be alright.

8. Clark says:

YO im a boy and im 12 and Im a vsco boyfriend

1. kailyn says:

XD

9. magdalene says:

so cute you are raising an awesome girl!keep being that supporting mother

10. Jessica says:

So my much much younger sister is in middle school. At her school the VSCO girls are the equivalent of the mean snobby girls from my generation (90s) and think they are better than everyone else that can’t afford $40 hydroflask water bottles, birks, Kranken bags, etc. Brings back memories of not wearing Doc Martens and being late to adopt CDs because I was from a hard working family. So not everywhere you go this VSCO girl a good thing…just saying. Its evolving.

11. kailyn says: